Fun with digital media: Getting the balance right
Stories by Digital Children
The Stories by Digital Children: A storytelling competition invited young children (5-12 year olds) to submit a concept for a children’s story based on the 2023 theme, Fun with digital media: Getting the balance right.
Help other children understand how to get the balance right
Do you like using digital media and technology? How do you balance digital media and technology with other activities?
The storybooks produced through the competition will launch in 2024
The competition winners will work with children’s author Kim Maslin to create a published version of their story. The stories will help other young children understand the theme in accessible ways.
The competition is open to children in the following age categories, with a winner selected from each category:
- 5-6 year olds
- 7–8 year olds
- 9-12 year olds
Each age group will create an entry designed for children younger than them. E.g. If you are 5-6 years of age, the story should be for 4 year olds.
All age groups can submit an individual entry or a small group entry (up to 4 children working together). If you are an educator working with 5-6 year old’s you may also submit a class entry.
One winner from each category will win a prize consisting of:
- A workshop with author Kim Maslin to develop their story idea into a book – including illustrations.
- A copy of the finished book to keep.
- A soft toy version of book’s main character.
Winners will be notified by 31 August 2023.
Download this template to get started. You can scan/photograph the pages or you can enter your idea into the texts box on the entry page.
Make sure your parent/guardian or educator reads the Terms and Conditions before they submit your entry.
Information for adults
We understand not all children will be able to write their story idea. You can write or type the words as told to you by your child/children.
If you have a small group or class entry, please ensure you have permission from the group/class members parents/guardians before you upload the entry on their behalf.
- The story makes sense for the audience.
- The story is fun and engaging for the audience.
- The story clearly articulates links to the theme of Fun with digital media: Getting the balance right.
- The story concept can be transferred into a story for the appropriate age group.
- The suggested characters can be transferred into a story for the appropriate age group.